Tag Archives: Search

SharePoint 2010 Search Query Component Not Responding

Problem

One of SharePoint servers went down for a period of time, when it came back up, the Query Component status was still stuck at ‘Not Responding’.

Solution

We had to use a small PowerShell script to restart the Query Component on that server. Its status then changed to ‘Recovering’ and eventually ‘Online’.

Here is the script:

$SearchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -identity "Search Service Application"
$SearchApp | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryTopology | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent | Where-Object {$_.ServerName -eq 'server name'} | Restart-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent
Comments ( 0 )

Event 6398 Could not find stored procedure ‘dbo.Search_GetRecentStats’

Problem

You get the following errors in the event log on your SharePoint server.

Event ID: 6398

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Monitoring.HealthStatUpdateJobDefinition (ID 9cb6be54-0384-4c6e-abfc-c2f25621a3ed) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Could not find stored procedure ‘dbo.Search_GetRecentStats’.

Event ID: 5586

Unknown SQL Exception 2812 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Could not find stored procedure ‘dbo.Search_GetRecentStats’.

Solution

The first thing to check would be whether Usage and Health data collection is enabled on your farm. To enable it:

  • Open Central Administration -> Monitoring -> Configure Usage and Health Data Collection
  • Ensure that Enable usage data collection and Enable Health data collection is ticked.
  • Select the events you wish to log.
  • Configure the Health Logging and Log Collection schedules.
  • Set the name of the database server and database name.

Give it some time and see if the problem is resolved, otherwise try restarting the SharePoint Timer Service on the server(s).

If this still does not work and you have already enabled the Usage and Health Data Collection service application. Try the following:

  • Turn off the Usage and Health Data Collection, unchecking both ‘Enable usage data collection and ‘Enable health data collection’.
  • Restart the SharePoint 2010 Timer service on all your SharePoint servers.
  • Turn the Usage and Health Data Collection back on.
Comments ( 0 )

Unable to delete a corrupted Search Service Application

Problem

I recently had to recreate a corrupted search service application on my farm. I tried deleting the service application from Central Administration but the ‘Please wait’ dialog just kept showing and nothing happened. I then tried deleting it using PowerShell using the Remove-SPServiceApplication command. After pressing enter, I waited for about 15 minutes and still nothing happened.

Solution

Use stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id “your search service application ID”

This did the trick and the search service application was removed very quickly.

Comments ( 0 )

Error in PortalCrawl Web Service

Problem

We recently had to re-create the user profile service application. All went fine until we ran the first search crawl, SharePoint Search reported the following error:

Error in PortalCrawl Web Service.

We have the following URLs configured under the content source:

http://mysite
sps3://sharepoint

The errors being generated were related to crawling user profiles under http://mysite.

 

Solution

Some things to check:

  1. Ensure that the default content access account configured under search administration has access to the User Profile Service Application. Go to Manage Service Applications -> User Profile Service Application -> Administrators. Ensure that your content access account has “Retrieve People Data for Search Crawlers” permissions.
  2. If you have re-created your user profile service application, ensure that it is re-associated with the relevant web applications. In my case, I had to re-add the service connection not only to Mysite but the main SharePoint site. The reason for this is because my enterprise search portal resided on my main SharePoint site.

 

Comments ( 0 )

Error when crawling pages with Gantt Chart webpart

Problem

You have Gantt chart views in your webparts. During a search crawl, the following messages are logged in ULS.

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: This view requires at least Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0, Mozilla FireFox 3.0, or Apple Safari 3.0.    at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.Gantt.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListViewWebPart.CreateChildControls()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartMobileAdapter.CreateChildControls()     at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Solution

  • Open RegEdit on your search server.
  • Browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager
  • Change the UserAgent key from:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows NT; MS Search 6.0 Robot)

to this

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT; MS Search 6.0 Robot)

  • Finally, restart your crawl servers.
Comments ( 1 )