Import your Managed Metadata from a term store in one farm and import it into another farm.
I used a program from Codeplex called SharePoint 2010 CSV Bulk Taxonomy TermSet Importer/Exporter.
Some notes about the program:
- You need to run it from a WFE in your SharePoint farm.
- SharePoint Site URL should be the URL to your Central Administration site.
- Type in the name of the SharePoint site first, then select options -> select managed store -> Get Store
- Select the name of your managed store, default is ‘Managed Metadata Service’
- Type in your group name, e.g. Companies
- Type in the path of the output file.
- Click Export
Steps are similar to importing, you will need to select the csv files from the export and type in a group name which will be created. Note that if a similar group already exists in the destination farm, it will be overwritten.