My recent adventures have required me to work extensively with Site templates. The site template was created with the SharePoint 2010 UI but had to be imported to an old Intranet site running SharePoint 2010 but using the 2007 UI.
After uploading the solution (.wsp) file to the old Intranet site, I found that I could not activate the solution. When I clicked on ‘Activate’ from the drop down menu, a blank white box would appear. It seemed like SharePoint was trying to render the silverlight dialog box but could not due to 2007 UI limitations.
The way I got around this problem was to activate the solution in Powershell.
- Open SharePoint Management Shell
- Get-SPUserSolution -site <url to your site collection>
- Take note of the name of the .wsp file.
- To activate the solution, type the following command:
- Install-SPUserSolution -identity “your solution.wsp” -site <url to your site collection> <<- Replace “your solution.wsp” with the name of your solution.