Had an issue today on one of my developer’s VMs. The Security Token Service stopped working which caused several other service applications to fail, managed metadata service, bcs, secure store service, and more.
A quick browse through the event log showed the following errors logged:
Event 3 System.ServiceModel 220.127.116.11
WebHost failed to process a request. Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment+HostingManager/33711845 Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service ‘/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc’ cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.. —> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> System.InvalidOperationException: The farm is unavailable.
Event 8306 SharePoint Foundation
An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The requested service, ‘http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas’ could not be activated. See the server’s diagnostic trace logs for more information..
Event 3 System.ServiceModel 18.104.22.168
WebHost failed to process a request. Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment+HostingManager/17653682 Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service ‘/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc’ cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: Memory gates checking failed because the free memory (161902592 bytes) is less than 5% of total memory. As a result, the service will not be available for incoming requests.
Any attempt to try and configure/administrate any of the above mentioned service applications would result in an error.
Tried several solutions in an attempt to resolve the problem:
- Recreated the faulting service applications (secure store, bcs, etc), no luck.
- Restarted IIS
- Restarted the application server.
- Re-ran the farm configuration wizard (psconfig).
- Set the .NET Trust level on the the SharePoint Web Services IIS website to Full (internal).
- Reprovisioned the Security Token Service Application using Powershell (refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sowmyancs/archive/2010/07/16/sharepoint-2010-service-applications-bcs-metadata-access-service-are-not-working.aspx on how to do this.
All of the above solutions did not work for me, although reported to work for others.
In the end, installing SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 resolved the problem completely.
- Save document library as template option not available
- Short break
- Speed up SharePoint using the IIS Blobcache
- Could not generate mail report.An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.No global profile is configured. Specify a profile name in the @profile_name parameter.
- Microsoft SharePoint is not supported with version 4.0.30319.296 of the Microsoft .Net Runtime.
- SharePoint Keeps Prompting for Credentials Problem SharePoint keeps prompting you for credentials in the following scenarios: You ...
- Security Token Service Application- Broken Problem Had an issue today on one of my developer's VMs. ...
- User Profile Service Stuck on Starting Problem You have followed Harbar's Rational Guide to setting up the ...
- Event 8313 Topology – Load Balancer EndpointFailure – SearchService.svc Problem Encountered the following error while analysing the logs on our ...
- Event 6398 and 5586 SharePoint Foundation Problem Event logs were getting filled with the following errors: Event 5586, ...
- The security validation for this page is invalid Problem: After applying SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 and June 2011 ...
- The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered. Problem You install .NET Framework 4.0 on your SharePoint 2010 WFE ...
- Start a workflow using PowerShell Requirement Start a workflow on all / specific items in a ...
- Using Export-SPWeb to export libraries / lists This is a simple one but many people get the ...
- Unable to change User Profile Service Account Problem So you made a mistake by trying to change the ...