Unable to upload large files (any file greater than 28 MB) to WSS 3.0 library. Any attempt results in a HTTP 404 not found error. This is even after the file size limit has been changed to 2 GB in the web application settings.
This is a known compatibility issue between IIS and WSS 3.0.
- Open the IIS 7.0 snap-in.
- Select the website of your SharePoint Web Application.
- On the right hand column, click on Explore
- In the directory, modify the web.config file.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the file, just before </configuration> and add the following code:
- This will set the maximum upload size to 50 MB. To set it to the maximum 2 GB, change the value to: 209715200
- Restart IIS
IIS 7 running Windows SharePoint Services 3.0